Thursday 25 April 2013

Iffley Meadows & Sydlings Copse BBOWT Reserves 25th April

 Snake'shead Fritillary & Bumble Bee

 Snake'shead Fritillary

 Snake'shead Fritillary
I made a visit to Iffley Meadows BBOWT reserve this morning to see how the Snake'shead Fritillary's were coming along.They are much later this year because of the cold weather but I was pleased to see hundreds in flower today.
A Cetti's Warbler was heard singing at the edge of the reserve,also Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Whitethroat, Lsr Whitethroat and Blackcap.

I stopped off at Sydling's Copse BBOWT reserve on the way home to see if any Toothwort was out.

 Reserve Sign
When I got to the reserve I went to the limestone grassland area first.There was a piece of corregated sheet on the grass, 2 Slow worms and a Common Lizard were found underneath it.
Lots of primroses were in flower in the grass. A few Early purple orchid leave rosettes were seen but none in flower yet. After going through the grassland area I headed towards the Gorze area where I found one Gorze Shieldbug. I then headed for the area where the Toothwort flowers. I found quite a few stems starting to come up at the base of some of the Hazeltrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment