Saturday 14 May 2016

Fritillary Aberration, Hants,14th May

It was a trip to Hampshire today as I wanted to get Pearl -bordered fritillary on for the year. When we arrived on site I checked the logbook in the car park to see if any Frits had been seen. While reading it I noticed that someone had seen a P B Frit aberration on the 12th may with 20+ P B Frits. After reading that we were off to the area as I really wanted  to find it. There were quite a few frits flying around and a few other observers who had heard about it and had yet to see it. I had a good walk around the site but nothing but normal P B Frits were seen. After around 45 minutes or so I suddenly noticed a darker individual flying around chasing another P B Frit for a short while, it was the Ab. At this point I called the other observers over, after that it landed. This was my first Fritillary aberration and was an absolute cracker!










After here we headed to Stockbridge down for a few other spring butterflies.

 Grizzled skipper

 Dingy skipper

 Common blue

 Small heath
Butterflies seen today:-
Dingy skipper
Grizzled skipper
Orange tip
Large white
Small white
Brimstone
Small copper
Green hairstreak
Common blue
Peacock
Pearl-bordered fritillary inc"Aberration"
Small heath

1 comment:

  1. That really is an amazing butterfly Wayne and one I would love to see.

    ReplyDelete